In the hospitality business, simply providing "great" customer service is insufficient nowadays. With a specific goal of attaining loyal and returning guests, you should give EXCEPTIONAL customer service, going well beyond what is expected. Here are a few ways of doing just that.
1. Exceed your customer’s expectations - Make a special effort to go well beyond what your customers were expecting when staying at your property. Do whatever it takes to make their stay enjoyable and memorable.
2. Solve customer problems fast - Solve problems when they arise promptly and use it as an opportunity to learn what problem areas might exist in your business. Be clear that you appreciate their concerns and that they are your number one priority. Train your staff to put the needs and problems of the customer first. Remember, the customer is always right from a customer service perspective.
3. Know your customer’s expectations - Know what your customers want and anticipate their individual needs. Provide a more personalized service that lets them know you value them and their loyalty.
4. Be honest with customers - Never deceive a customer or make a guarantee to them that you can't keep. Continuously be straightforward with them about what you can or can’t do. If you do make a promise, deliver on it.
5. Always be polite - First impressions mean a lot. Train your staff to always be warm, courteous, and polite to customers from the moment they arrive at your property to the moment they leave.
6. Be knowledgeable about the local area - Have everyone on your staff, especially at the front desk, be able to make recommendations about local tourist attractions, restaurants, where to shop, and other key areas of interest.
Repeat customers are vital to your business and loyal customers promote your business by word of mouth. So, remember that excellent customer service provides future business for your property.