Times and trends in travel are changing. Travelers, in particular Millennials, are seeking new and unusual experiences while traveling. They crave exciting and extraordinary travel destinations to include hotels with a unique and memorable experience. Some hotels and resorts are so unusual, that you have to see it to believe it! Many new hotels are cropping up around the globe, with the experience in mind to appeal to the Millennial market. Here is a list of several of the most unusual you can find.
1. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort, Saariselka, Finland - Located in the far north of Finland, the Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort consists of rows of small glass igloos as rooms from which guests can view the northern lights and clear star filled skies. Open from the third week of August through to the end of April, Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is a fantastic destination for all winter activities. http://www.kakslauttanen.fi/en/
2. Treehotel, Harads, Sweden - Consisting of only seven “rooms” which are actually separate tree houses in a forest, the Treehotel in Harads Sweden is truly unusual. Each tree house has a different theme and shape. One is actually shaped like a UFO while another is a mirrored cube. Each of the seven tree houses has an amazing view, and is set in a peaceful and beautiful setting. http://treehotel.se/en/
3. The Dog Bark Park Inn, Cottonwood, Idaho, USA - The Dog Bark Park Inn is a pet friendly, two bedroom, two floor, 30 foot high bed and breakfast shaped like a Beagle, and sleeps up to four guests. Even the rooms are decorated with; you guessed it - dog decor. The one of a kind shape makes this hotel a famous landmark along Highway 95 in Idaho. http://www.dogbarkpark.com
4. Kumbukriver Eco-Extraordinaire, Buttala, Sri Lanka - An eco friendly lodge located on the Kumbuk river next to the Yala National Park in Sri Lanka, the Kumbukriver Eco-Extraordinaire is famous for its 40ft high Elephant shaped Elephant Villa, which is made entirely out of twigs, wood and straw. Combine that with a kitchen that serves authentic Sri Lankan dishes, and a whole host of guest activities from surfing to hiking to river rafting, and you will be sure to have a fantastic and exciting stay. https://www.kumbukriver.com
5. Sun Cruise Resort and Yacht, Jeongdongjin, South Korea - Perched atop a cliff overlooking the ocean along the east coast of South Korea lies the Sun Cruise Resort and Yacht. A hotel resort that literally was designed and made to look like a cruise ship. The resort is 541 ft. long and 148 ft. high and has 211 rooms and 6 restaurants. The resort features plenty of activities for guests including parasail, catamarans and jet skis. All of the rooms either have expansive garden views or panoramic ocean views depending on which side of the resort you reside. http://english.esuncruise.com/
6. Propeller Island City Lodge, Berlin, Germany - Perhaps the most quirky and eclectic hotel on our list is the Propeller Island City Lodge located in Berlin Germany. Opened in 1997 by artist Lars Strorschen, the hotel consists of 30 different rooms each one with it’s own unique theme. The themes range from an Upside Down room where all of the furniture is fixed upside down on the ceiling to a Mirror room where the ceiling and walls are completely covered in mirrors. http://www.propeller-island.de
If you are at all into the quirky, weird, and eccentric or just looking for someplace a little bit outside of the box, we encourage you to try out and stay at one these unusual hotels.